STEPS TO BECOME A FOSTER AND/OR ADOPTIVE PARENT
Participate in an informational orientation
Our team will help you as you take off on this new journey. We encourage you to attend a UNIFY Orientation Class as a first step, but you are also welcome to begin turning in your completed Application and other Documentation.
Submit a complete application and other documentation
It will be necessary for our team to follow up with you for some additional information. When your application is approved we will begin processing reference letters and requesting inspections for your home. It is important to know that approval of an application does not guarantee verification for foster care and/or adoption.
Complete the required trauma-informed training program
Our Family Development/Child Placement Staff will support your family as you work through this step. They will assist you in registering to participate in a series of classes that we created to prepare you to be a UNIFY Family. They are also available to help you as you work to complete and submit the required documentation.
Participate in a home study
- Once you’ve completed most of the training and paperwork, one of our Home Study Assessment professionals will schedule a day to come to your home to meet face to face with your family and complete your Home Study interviews.
- We will interview all household members ages 3 and older individually, all family members (including children) as a family unit, and finally married couples will be interviewed together as a couple.
- We’ll compile all of your information into an extensive report that will be a great reflection on your family’s interests, personalities, skills, abilities and goals.
- This document will be your home study and will be used for a variety of purposes including making matches between your family and children in need of a home.
Receive approval to be a verified foster or approved adoptive home
- When all of the steps have been successfully completed, we will verify your family as a UNIFY Foster, Foster to Adopt, or Kinship Family.
- A UNIFY Case Manager will be assigned to support your family.
- They will support your family and serve as your primary contact with UNIFY Child Placing Agency.
- We will begin the process of seeking to match children who are in need of a home with the family environment that your family is able to provide.